Cushing’s disease is associated with prolonged exposure to high levels of the hormone named cortisol. Below given are some warning symptoms and treatments related to this frustrating syndrome.
Cushing’s Disease takes place when there is persistently raised level of hormones named Cortisol. The major reason that causes this ailment is consumption of oral corticosteroid for longer span of time. Similarly, when the emission of cortisol hormone in the body increases, it leads to Cushing’s disease. However, this syndrome is linked with adrenal gland tumors which seem to affect more commonly in women as compared in men.
Below given are the warning indications associated with Cushing’s disease:
- Moon face is the most common indication of Cushing’s disease.
- Noticeable stretch marks in arms, thigh, abdomen and under the breast.
- Skin becomes very delicate and thin. It bruises easily when you get through minor injuries.
- Deposition of fats in different areas of the body or increase in weight, generally a buffalo hump produces in between the shoulder.
- The healing process of insect bites and wounds become slow due to increases level of glucose in the blood.
- Muscular weakness.
- Easy fatigue.
- Feeling of being depressed and nervous.
- Complaints of erectile dysfunction or patient may even acknowledge low libido.
- Severe back pain because of osteoporosis. However, if further severe cases it can consequent in collapsing or shortening of vertebral column.
- Temporal patches of hair fall in females.
How to treat Cushing’s disease?
- Tackling with Cushing’s syndrome is usually aimed to trim down the levels of cortisol in the body. The basic reason is found after considering certain tests and examination of prior health issues.
- Making use of corticosteroids for longer span of time can also be the reason for causing Cushing’s disease. In such condition, ask your doctor to reduce its dosage. Although make sure you are not reducing the prescribed dosage by your own.
- If it’s because of a tumor in the pituitary gland or adrenal gland, patient may have to endure surgery to remove it. In some cases, radiation therapy is also considered as an effective treatment in curing tumor.
- While doctors also prescribe effective medications when radiation or surgery is not possible or contraindicated in some patients.
Apart from these treatments, making certain alterations in lifestyle and procuring some home remedies can make a lot of difference in Cushing’s disease patients.
- Avoid going for heavy physical works.
- Have milk or other foods that comprises lot of calcium in it. This adds immense benefits in strengthening the weak bones that are affected due to osteoporosis. Moreover, taking in vitamin D from the rays of sun also helps in strengthening the bones.
- For aches and pains; hot fomentation, oil massage and acupressure can help out. Similarly, practicing meditation and yoga also seems to show beneficial results. However, seek doctor’s help if the symptoms still persist.