Constipation causes difficulty in passing stools. It causes aching and difficult bowel movements of dry and hard stool. Most of the people are affected with it frequently. Poor diet and lack of exercise are the most common causes of constipation. One time or the other everyone gets constipated. In most of the cases it stays for a short period of time. In case of chronic constipation the doctor’s advice to take laxatives until the conditions comes to normal.
Symptoms of Constipation:
- Less than three bowel movements throughout the week
- Straining while passing stool
- Hard and lumpy stools
- Severe stomach ache
- Feeling of fullness in stomach
Causes of Constipation:
- Intake of fiber in the diet is very less. Fiber works as cleaning agent in the body and ensures the proper functioning of the bowels.
- Less intake of water is another cause. Less fluid intake causes the stool to become hard and hence make it painful to pass stools.
- Lack of exercise is another common cause.
- Some medicines also make a person constipated.
- Over eating
- Avoiding the urge of bowel movement
- Changes in your normal life style like travelling, frequent outdoor eating, etc.
- Tea and coffee are also known to cause constipation in some people.
- And finally, IBS – Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Ways to prevent and cure Constipation:
- Eat more and more fruits, make it a habit to have fruits after the meals. Have vegetables and grains that are high in fiber.
- Drink plenty of liquids. One glass of water in 1 hour is a must. Water helps to effectively flush out the harmful toxins out of the body thereby making the bowel movements smooth.
- Exercise regularly
- Have a bowel movement when you feel the need to
- Confirm from the doctor if the medicines you take can cause constipation.
- In case of severe constipation, laxatives are advised.
Constipation can be prevented with proper care. Follow a proper diet plan and avoid making sudden lifestyle changes.